Sunday, April 1, 2012

Post #1 Turkish Delight lead me here


I enter with shaking thrill and confidence into this long time ambition. To tip and tap a dream is absurd. To tip and tap my insides onto virtual glow is reckless. To tip and tap after years of imagining this thing is my scarlet letter. “P” for procrastinator rather than an “A” mounted on my factory assembled cotton shirt rather than the lapel of a homespun tunic.

Maybe it was the Turkish Delight purchased in the duty free store as we were leaving Istanbul connecting me to CS Lewis and the Narnians. Or my son’s continual speech and belief that he is a Basilika, a creature only elves can see, but I am ubiquitously alive with magic and at this moment it is so overwhelming that I must write of it.

My belief transcends (and weirdly enough includes) the enjoyment of imagining us all in Hogwarts or running in the forests with the vegetarian vampires of Stephanie Meyer. Goldfish and trees coming to the mystical aid of the Japanese in the studio Gibli films, I have this hardwired through popculture, every other aspect of that material system I have rejected. The rejection of fuel required to be skinny enough for the newest trends, the addiction to the newest techno device (still don’t know how to text and the mobile was lost for good [pun intended] while in the labyrinthine ground transport of the airport in Doha, Qatar). The other messages of popular practice that I learn or refuse to learn (screw you facebook and your constant encouragements for me to know the favorite New York Times articles of my “friends” ) and yet I am in the net and web and the less caught spots—I am in the womb and home of magic. Captured and nestled as a believer.

Can I be a part of something beautiful? Something so lovely and unpredictable and majestic in its slow churning.

No comments:

Post a Comment